Thursday, January 12, 2012

Tit In Use Causes Comic Book Uproar


I don't pay a lot of attention to the comic book world. I'm a big enough geek without them. Every once in a while something happens in the magical world of comics that makes me shake my head.

On Monday, illustrator Dave Dorman complained about the cover of a comic book called Saga. The problem? Breastfeeding. He found it offensive and only there for "shock value." As you might think the backlash started soon after. I came late to the issue and only read about it on a site called Comic Alliance. By the time I went to Dorman's blog he'd taken the post down.

I just don't get what's so offensive. Compared to some of the other stuff in comics, breastfeeding is at least natural and realistic. Let's face it, most women in comics would suffer from severe back strain if they could stand up at all. Don't even get me started on women's "armor" in comic books. I don't even know how most of it stays on. There's often a whole lot more breast showing than there is in the illustration above.

I really don't understand how anyone can find breastfeeding offensive. It is the most natural thing on Earth. Our culture teaches people that our bodies are bad. The site of a naked breast could lead to all kinds of perversity. Think of the children.

It's all bull-cocky.

Our bodies are not evil. There is no harm in nudity. There's no evidence that children are negatively affected by seeing a breast being used  as it was meant to be. People need to get over themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment